Making the most of First Day Photos

Kindergarten is a milestone in a child's life and one that parents want to keep fresh in their minds forever!  Being the mom of 3 almost grown up daughters I know that I would give ANYTHING to relive kindergarten with my girls.  Here is a fun project that will help you preserve this special milestone year for your families. 

THE BACKDROP 

At the beginning of the year I taped a sheet to the wall and took a quick pic while they were exploring blocks.  You have to be quick on that first day because there are ZERO procedures in place and this could fall apart at any moment.  For that reason a few of my first day pics are a little blurry! 

On the "LAST" day of school (actually about a week before school gets out!) I take the same picture. Well let me tell you a little trick I learned for setting up that backdrop!  I ran out of tape and then I realized I had a fitted sheet.  All I had to do was hang it on the door to make a backdrop.  Perfect! 


Why was I wasting time with tape when I could have been doing this?  Next year I'm going to try a white sheet.  Twin size fitted sheets are less than $5 at Walmart. Easy peasy and it can double as a sheet to cover your bookshelves for the summer.

THE PROP

Give your kiddos something to hold that shows it was the first day of school.  No, I'm not talking a newspaper like in a ransom video but something like this: 

I painted this K with chalkboard paint so I could write on it each year.

 THE FOLLOW THROUGH

DO SOMETHING with the photos once you take them.  Mine automatically save from my phone to my Google Drive so they were safe there.  At the end of the year I take an identical picture and put them side by side.  The results are so cute! 

Can you tell I got a new phone half way through the school year this year?  Even though they are not perfect (the unevenness drives me a little crazy) the OVERLOAD of cuteness makes up for it.  I send them to parents that I'm friends with on Facebook and the kiddos include these in their memory books.  Each one was so unique and fun! 

Those are my tips friends!  I've actually followed through 2 years in a row now.  I'm pretty proud of that!  It's WAY too easy to get busy and forget the little things but sometimes it's the little things that mean so much.  I will never forget how important this first day of Kindergarten is to my little ones.