Book Talk Tuesday: The Sandwich Swap

Is there anything better than reading a picture book to Kindergarteners?  No, no there is not.  Sometimes I just scrap my usual plans and sit down with a book because, well...that's all we can handle sometimes.

And sometimes I actually plan out a book to teach a new concept.  Shocker right?  This month our focus at school is respect so I thought this was a great opportunity to search out a new book on respect.  I think I found a great one! 

The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania of Jordan Al Abdullah
 Quick Summary: Lily and Salma are best friends. They like doing all the same things, and they always eat lunch together. Lily eats peanut butter and Salma eats hummus-but what's that between friends? It turns out, a lot. Before they know it, a food fight breaks out. Can Lily and Salma put aside their differences? Or will a sandwich come between them?

Quick Tech Tip:  If you can't find a book in the local library (or in your own...if you are like me and have a million books!) search YouTube.  Almost always there is a link available to the book being read aloud.  Great resource!

Back to the book: I think this is a great opportunity to teach respect and tolerance at the same time.  We are REALLY working on showing respect (and especially manners) in our Kindergarten classroom.  When we get to tolerance it's a tougher concept to introduce to young students. I would love for them to be able to make the connection to respect right away when we get there! 

A few other books I use to teach respect: 
Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
Wooray for Wodney Wat  by Helen Lester
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

What books do you like to use to teach respect?

Looking for a good book?  
Link up with Deanna Jump at Mrs. Jump's Class for Book Talk Tuesday! 
Thanks for visiting!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments!