Behavior Management


I am a big believer in FOCUS on the POSITIVE. I know that in a classroom if you only point out the BAD behavior you will be in for trouble. However, there is a time and a place for communicating with the student and their family about behavior that is fixable. 

What is fixable behavior? Things we are learning in kindergarten and first grade. Keeping our hands safe, listening during lessons instead of shouting out, staying in our seat when appropriate, and taking care of classroom materials. We have a system in our classroom that I have used for the last 8 years. It has been effective for me and I am going to share it with you today. 

At the beginning of the school year I introduce my families to our classroom calendars. They are simple calendars that go home in our homework folders. At the bottom of the calendar I have these 5 classroom expectations listed: 

1. Listen when others are talking. 
2. Follow directions quickly. 
3. Keep your hands and feet to yourself. 
4. Take care of materials. 
5. Work quietly, don't disturb your neighbor. 

At the end of the day students either receive a stamp on their calendar or a number. A stamp means, "I had a great day!" and most students get a stamp because we are focusing on the positive. If students get a number written on their calendar it will match one of the classroom expectations that they had trouble with for the day. I only put a number or two on calendars each day. This is just to make sure I am communicating with families the specific expectations that are not being met. 

I ALWAYS make a big deal to let parents and families know that this is not a punishment, they are not in trouble, and that this is just something we are working on. Did little Joey take forever to clean up every single center today and then doddle his way to the rug each time you called them over? Yes....he needs to work on that. Tomorrow morning when I great Joey at the door I can ask him, "What are we working on today?" And Joey should be able to say, "Cleaning up quickly" because it was the last thing we talked about yesterday and (hopefully) his family discussed it with him too. 

This is my all year go to for behavior management. I keep this one in place all year long. 

Here is an example of one of the calendar pages

This classroom management tool is something you can put in place all year long to open up the lines of communication with parents, improve behavior in your classroom, and create a stronger classroom community in preschool, kindergarten, and first grade.

I also have included an IB (International Baccalaureate) Learner Profile attribute at the bottom of each of these FREE CALENDARS for your classroom. You can click HERE to get them in my TPT store. Just a little FYI too...I update these every June and they are ALWAYS free in my store. 

Do you want to save this great idea for later? Save this pin here! 




This classroom management tool is something you can put in place all year long to open up the lines of communication with parents, improve behavior in your classroom, and create a stronger classroom community in preschool, kindergarten, and first grade.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments!