5 Valentine Classroom Party Ideas (that won't make you CRAZY!)

I am a fun teacher. I promise I am. 

I am also a very structured, all the things lined up and in order kind of a teacher too. 

Valentine's day. Sugar. Children hyped up on sugar.....those are the types of things that make me shake in my boots. 

Many many years ago I got a handle on the chaos as best I could so that I didn't cry every February 14th. My students have fun and so do I so it is a win win! 

Here are 5 tricks I have learned over the years that help contain the craziness! 

#1 FOOD!!
One year for our Valentine's day party I had 4 students (4!) bring a full class set of cupcakes (even though they hadn't signed up to do so!). At the end of the day I had every kid take home 3 full sized cupcakes on a paper plate in a gallon sized bag. I vowed to NEVER have that problem again. I am so over cupcakes. 

The very next year I implemented a "Heart Healthy Breakfast" because our school always does something for American Heart Month. Instead of sugary snack we bring fruit, yogurt, and veggies. I know, I know, there is still a lot of sugar in this picture but it is way better than cupcakes! 

#2 Valentine Cards
I know a lot of kindergarten teachers give directions to only fill out the "From" on cards because it makes passing them out a whole lot easier. It does but I promise you do not want to miss out on the cuteness of them walking around putting their cards in every individual box. It means so much more when they do it this way. So I do a couple of things to help this. 
#1 Make it their homework for the week before Valentine's Day. Parents will appreciate you. 
#2 Give them PLENTY of time and anyone who finishes early can help a friend. 
#3 Have a couple of helpers come in to help out during this time. 


#3 Party Time 
We don't "party" anymore in my classroom. Instead of party time we do a whole morning of open choice centers. I set up really fun centers all over the room and students visit them throughout the day. With that much choice involved they are SUPER engaged and really well behaved because they know my rule.....if you mess around you don't get to stay at centers. No one wants to be kicked out of open choice centers. I blogged about these centers HERE


#4 Whole Group Activities
I love doing something whole group that brings us all together. Directed drawings are great for this and have a certain calming effect in the afternoon. Here is an example of a fun one we did a couple of years ago (I can't remember where is from!)  and HERE are some fun ones from From the Pond

#5 Easy gift for your students
I make these each year for my students and I know you have seen them before. I blogged all about how to make them HERE. The post also includes a free file to make the cards. 

That is how I take the crazy out of this crazy day. Valentine's in pretty much my favorite day every year! 

Here are some great February products! 
Surviving February Lesson Plans and Activities
Math Centers for February 
Literacy Centers for February
February Homework
February Worksheets  

Thanks for stopping by today. Have a fun Valentine's Day!  


No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments!