Saving $$$ in the Classroom on Watercolor


Summer hits and you are instantly left with all of this FREE TIME that allows you to browse the internet for all kinds of fun ideas for your classroom. 

And you buy them. 

You buy them ALL! 

Yes. Me too. But today I wanted to share with you one simple hack I learned that cost me NO MONEY. Yes I said it. NO MONEY!  

ART SUPPLIES

I LOVE having lots of art options in my classroom. We use oil pastels, Kwik Stix (tempera paint that looks like a glue stick), water color, crayons, markers......you name it. I always make sure to have lots of options out during our Fun Friday Centers.

I figured this out last year and I was SO EXCITED it worked.   

Our markers are on our class list but they run out SO FAST! It bums me out to have to box them up and recycle them (Check out Crayola's Recycle Program HERE) after just a couple weeks of use. Then I saw this amazing project.....

Save money in an art, kindergarten, preschool, or primary classroom by making your own watercolors out of old markers! Your students will love using these vibrant colors on their latest art project. This easy classroom hack can be done in one day and makes enough watercolor to last throughout the year! Never buy watercolor again! Recycle the markers when you are done!Save money in an art, kindergarten, preschool, or primary classroom by making your own watercolors out of old markers! Your students will love using these vibrant colors on their latest art project. This easy classroom hack can be done in one day and makes enough watercolor to last throughout the year! Never buy watercolor again! Recycle the markers when you are done!

You guys......these are old worn out markers turning into picture perfect water color paint. Seriously! All of these markers were headed to the recycle bin and I just put them in some water over night and POOF! Perfect water color I could use for painting every week. 

I put 4 to 5 markers of the same color in each cup and came out with bright, vibrant water color. My kids were super impressed and let me tell you...I was too! 

I STOPPED buying tempura paint and included this in my art center every Friday. My kiddos love to paint so they were thrilled with this new addition. It is way less messy than tempura paint too!

A fun tip about painting with water color is to have students outline what they want to paint in black crayon first. It makes the picture POP! and it helps the watercolor from running together. One quick art lesson at the beginning of centers and they were all set up for success. 

EASY PEASY! 
Save this $ saving tip for later. Pin it here! 

Save money in an art, kindergarten, preschool, or primary classroom by making your own watercolors out of old markers! Your students will love using these vibrant colors on their latest art project. This easy classroom hack can be done in one day and makes enough watercolor to last throughout the year! Never buy watercolor again! Recycle the markers when you are done!
 






1 comment

I love comments!