First Day of Kindergarten and FREE labels!

What does the first day of kindergarten really look like? Be ready for the first day with activities, a name tag free file, craft, and reasonable expectations. Have a successful first day in preschool kindergarten or 1st grade!

Are you ready for back to school? I am! Actually, we already had our first day of school and we are just about in full swing. It was a great first 3 days of school and I know next week will be even better as we begin to build some routines. Here are a few of my favorite things from the first day. 

You are "of-fish-ally" in kindergarten! 
I had a spot ready for every student with a water bottle (super important!), gold fish, coloring page, and this year I added a little pencil box with manipulatives inside. It went great! I was able to answer parent questions, calm nervous kiddos, and keep everyone in their seat while we got our bearings in the first 15 minutes. Everyone enjoyed coloring this page from Creative Lesson Cafe and I am keeping it for their portfolios. Oh, they enjoyed the snack too! You can get the labels for free HERE!


Morning Meeting
I wanted to start the first day off right with a morning meeting so I could get that routine rolling. I liked adding this question to the end of our morning message. We read First Day Jitters first to show that even teachers can feel nervous on the first day. Most of my kiddos said they were happy or excited but a few were honest and said they were sad or nervous. We only had 2 cryer's this year, so most of them really were just happy or excited! 


What an actual first day of kindergarten looks like in the classroom! Ideas for first day crafts, organization, and how to introduce rules and procedures. You have your classroom and supplies ready, now plan for your students!


First Day Name Project
This is my FAVORITE back to school project! My mentor teacher showed me this about 12 years ago when I first started kindergarten and I still love it every year! This was the first year I got to actually take part because (long story) I've shared 2 half day classes with another teacher and she always did this with them but I got to enjoy the fruits of her labor. We went full day this year (no more sharing two groups) so I got to do it this year! It wasn't as easy as I remember! I blame it on a clogged glue bottle but the instructions are pretty simple: 

  • Trace each child's name on black or white paper in pencil. 
  • Prepare small pieces of rainbow construction paper. 
  • Trace the first letter of each child's name with glue and give them a red piece of construction paper. 
  • Students tear tiny pieces to cover the glue. 
  • When students finish their letter I have them raise their hand (good teaching moment on the first day) and I come by and trace the next letter with glue and give them the next color (orange, yellow, green, blue...) 
  • Have some bins with manipulatives ready for them to use if they finish fast! 

What an actual first day of kindergarten looks like in the classroom! Ideas for first day crafts, organization, and how to introduce rules and procedures. You have your classroom and supplies ready, now plan for your students!

I love the result! We hang these in the hallway and they stay there all year. We usually do white paper but went with black this year. I love how they turned out!

I have this activity and so many more all wrapped up in one happy package HERE in this Surviving Kindergarten post. 

Are you new to kindergarten? Feeling uneasy about the first day? Let me help you make the most of your first few days of kindergarten. This product has everything you need to create a positive classroom environment, introduce rules and procedures, and have tons of fun the first week of kindergarten!


Ok, last but certainly not least...I got this cute "Happy First Day" treat from one of my sweeties. It was SO GOOD at about 3:30 after the first day of school when I was totally exhausted and totally forgot I was on a diet. Oh well....every delicious calorie was worth it! 
What an actual first day of kindergarten looks like in the classroom! Ideas for first day crafts, organization, and how to introduce rules and procedures. You have your classroom and supplies ready, now plan for your students!

What are your favorite activities to do on the first day? There are so many options! Our first day went great, I hope yours does too! 

Here are all of our favorite Back to School Rules and Procedures to introduce in the first few days! 

And some FREEBIE labels too!

Save this post for later!
What does the first day of kindergarten really look like? Be ready for the first day with activities, a name tag free file, craft, and reasonable expectations. Have a successful first day in preschool kindergarten or 1st grade!


2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to think of a morning message to start the year off with if we return back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your page! My daughter is a third year teacher. First year with kindergarteners! I've been scouring facebook, pinterest, instagram, every where for things to send to her. You're page is wonderful! Thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!