Five for Friday: September 4

It's a 3 day weekend!  Hooray!  One of the perks of starting school at the beginning of August....this extra day off is a HUGE treat!


 In math we introduced 2D shapes and we used my MASSIVE box of craft sticks to practice making them all week.  This was a super way to practice sides and corners and they loved it.  I even included it in our Fun Friday centers and they could have played and built with those things for hours.  Who knew I had the secret to keeping kids engaged hidden in my craft supplies?

 This week we read the book Mr. Putter and Tabby Write the Book for Writer's Workshop to talk about "What good writers do".  It was a great book to start my kiddos talking.  
So I have some boys that are not entirely enthusiastic about the whole "centers" thing.  If I let them just play with the play dough every day they would be happy, but make letters?  Practice writing my letters? (even with the cool pens my girls drool over) and don't even get me started on putting the alphabet in order.  Not going to happen....

Until now! Race Car ABC Practice!
 I was brainstorming at home the other night and thought that maybe some cards that would appeal to the boys would help them stay engaged during our 15 minute rotation.  Wowzers, it worked!  I made these race car cards up, printed and laminated, and had them cut out by Thursday.  The boys flocked to them and stayed working the WHOLE TIME!  They were even silently racing each other to see who could finish the alphabet first.  I love it when a plan works! 
Click HERE to see in my store
The adorable clip art from Mel at Graphics from the Pond saved the day!  
 It can't ALL be about school!  This was Sunday.....such a wonderful way to spend the day.  I was a little sunburned all week and had to deal with that but it was so worth it.  We don't do this nearly enough.

Last but not least, this was really the icing on the cake for me this week!  I was a guest blogger for Emily at Education to the Core and it was such an honor!  It was my very first guest blogger opportunity and I was pretty nervous, but Emily made me feel great about my post and I love how it came together.  She is a pretty amazing teacher with so many great ideas.  You should absolutely take a look! 
http://educationtothecore.com/2015/09/organizing-half-day-kindergarten/

I hope you all had a wonderful week, I know I did!  Have a great holiday weekend! Don't forget to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!