Technology Tuesday: Fun Apps from ISTE!

I've been promising a technology post to share a little from ISTE this year.  I learned SO much at this conference!  It might take me the rest of the year to share it all!

First....simply fun little app that I think has to be my favorite so far.  The app is called 
Sock Puppets and it is available in the iTunes store:
Sock Puppets lets you create your own lip-synched videos and share them. Add Puppets, props, scenery, and backgrounds and start creating. Hit the record button and the puppets automatically lip-synch to your voice.
 

It is so much fun!

First you chose a puppet (or puppets) to tell a story: 

Then you pick a background: 
 

Then you record your story!  All you have to do is tap the sock puppet you want to speak while you are saying their part of the story.  Then tap the other puppet when it is their turn to speak. When you replay the story it looks like they are telling the story!  Plus they "scrub" your voice so it's you but it doesn't sound exactly like you.
(kind of high and squeaky like a sock puppet should sound)

The possibilities are endless with puppets, backgrounds, and extras you can add in. 

Uses in the classroom: 

I played with this one for a bit and here are a couple of things I want to try in the classroom. 
  • First off, fun Friday is going to be a hoot.  I think the kiddos will have playing with this one.  The key to getting kids to know an app is letting them play with it a little.  Then when you are ready to get down to work, they know more about the app than you do and they have all their "exploration" time out of the way.  (Curiosity is a wonderful thing but sometimes it can slow down a lesson!)
  • Story retelling.  After reading a story together as a class students can create a retelling.  Students will work in pairs to create a sock puppet play to retell the story. 
  • Writer's Workshop: Students can use the puppets to tell their Writer's Workshop stories.  I can see this being a big hit for kids that finish fast (I'm not talking the sloppy fast finishers but those honest to goodness, "I'm so efficient I do everything twice as fast" kids....they can put their story into a sock puppet play) Also kiddos that are reluctant to share might feel more comfortable sharing a story with a sock puppet.
  • Math story problems for the whole class.  OMgoodness, this would be hilarious!  I think kiddos would be excited to solve a sock puppet problem!
  • Create a QR code of the puppet video to send home to mom and dad!

Did I mention?  It's free!  Of course, I would never share such a fun thing and then tell you it cost a zillion dollars.  So I plan on getting this loaded onto the iPads to try it out.  I think my kiddos are going to love it!

Do you have any fun apps to share?  Feel free to leave a comment below and share away!