Book Talk Tuesday: A Ball for Daisy FREEBIE

http://www.mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/ 
I'm HAPPY to be back on a regular blogging schedule and link up with Deanna Jump for Book Talk Tuesday. 
I know everyone is in Vegas right now having the time of their lives talking about Kindergarten and 1st grade awesomeness but I am stuck at home teaching summer school 
(and throwing my own little pity party!)  
I'm within driving distance to Vegas so you never know, I might just jump in the car and go stalk the hallway at the I Teach K conference.  
I am so going next year!

Enough with the whining. Today I am going to share a book with no words because I am getting set up for a whole new school year and a brand new beginning in Writer's Workshop. This is my all time favorite no words book. 
A Ball for Daisy is written and illustrated by Chris Raschka. Here are a few ideas for using a wordless book: 


Writer's Workshop
When I started using the Writer's Workshop model years ago I learned to use the first {many} weeks focusing on student's pictures.  We have a daily focus on details, appropriate colors to use, showing action, showing changes, labeling our pictures, and mostly just about being neat.  Coloring is hard ya'll and you have to practice!  

This is where Daisy comes in to help.  The entire book is wordless so we can read it as a class (silently!).  I slowly turn through the pages and show each picture one at a time.  

The book is about Daisy (a puppy) who loves her ball.  She loves playing with it and one day she takes the ball to the park.  A larger dog in the park pops Daisy's ball and she is absolutely heartbroken.  The illustrations take you through her emotional turmoil until she finally meets back up in the park with the same dog who has brought Daisy a new ball to take home.

Slowly looking at the pictures (not saying a word), the entire class is spell bound by Daisy and her troubles at the park.  When we finish the book I make a point of talking about the emotions they felt as we "read" the book.  We connect this back to how writers and illustrators use their pictures to tell the story, even if they aren't using any words.  I then invite the students to write their own story without using any words.

Read to Self 
This is a great book to get started with Read to Self and specifically how to read a book 3 ways (read the pictures, read the words, retell a familiar story).  I use this as my example text when we talk about reading the pictures.  Here are a few more wordless books I found that I want to add to my library (because I don't have quite enough books in my classroom yet.....)

The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Beaver is Lost by Elisha Cooper
Time Flies by Eric Rohmann
Mine! by Shutta Crum

While I was thinking about it I put together a couple of response sheets that would work nicely for this book and/or any wordless book.  You are welcome to grab them up if you like!  Just click on the pic to access them through Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy_8L1vfUHTZi1VMjZyekdXc1k/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy_8L1vfUHTZi1VMjZyekdXc1k/edit?usp=sharing
 
I hope this gave you some new ideas for your classroom. Now don't forget to check out all the great books in the link up!