Thrifty Thursday

I'm going to join in with Smorgie today and do a little Thrifty Thursday.  If you aren't already stalking him you really should check out his blog.  He has fun, practical, and down to earth teaching strategies and it's just fun to see what he'll come up with next! 

This is an at home edition because let's face it.  Living on a teacher's salary during the summer is HARD WORK!  I have had this project rolling around in my brain and today I finally got the guts to try it out! 

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT!!

I bought all of my ingredients at Walmart. The total cost came out to about $26. I'm sure if you were really thrifty you could shop around and wait until some of these items were on sale.  If this works out I'll be keeping my eye out for sales on these products. 

Here's what you need: 
2 bottles of Purex Crystals
1 container of OxiClean
1 (4lb) box of Pure Baking Soda
1 (4lb 12 oz) box of Borax
1 (3lb 7oz) Box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Bars Fels-Naptha (grate this using a cheese grater)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a big bucket.  I didn't have a {clean} bucket (most of ours have tools or paint in them) so I took a used paint bucket and but a garbage bag in it.  I mixed it all together and then used the OxiClean container to hold a small portion of it until I get something better to put it in the laundry room.
One thing I would already do differently is the grating of the Fels-naptha.  I think I would use the itty bitty grate on the cheese grater instead.  I used the large in the beginning and then switched to a medium size. (I've also read that people use their food processors for this part....not sure about that!)
 
You only need to use 1-2 Tablespoons per load.  We'll see.
I've read blog post that say it lasts up to 4 months for a family of 4.  We'll see.   

I'm trying my first load now.....

If it works and I can save a little moo-lah that will be great.  If anything for now it has motivated me to do some laundry! :)  Happy Summer friends!