Five for Friday: Valentine's Week!

It's that time again, and this time it's the start of a 3 day weekend!  Five for Friday--woohoo!

Today was so much fun I came home and took a nap!  A nap I tell you!  I only had to be at school until 11:30 too!  What would I have done if it was a full day?  Here is what led up to my Friday afternoon exhaustion!

#1  Valentine Centers:

I was so happy to use my new Valentine centers this week.  One sweet moment this week that made me happy to be creating my own stuff was when one little girl finished up her center, cleaned up, folded her hands in her lap, and simply said, "That one was a lot of fun!"  It's all about keeping them engaged while they are learning and I {hope} I am doing that. :)


And building a few sentences.  The kids really loved this one!

 #2  We've been doing 5 minute rewards at the end of the day for our Whole Brain Teaching Score Board.  They win just about every day which really means I win too.  This week their favorite was the Toody Ta Song.  Click [here] to see the link on YouTube!  
  #3  Writer's Workshop is everyone's favorite time in the classroom.  Writer's write everyday!  Here's my favorite from the week.  The details in his picture are super (notice the laces and the caption!)  and he is using the "help for next time" to not erase and just cross out instead. 
#4 Classroom Valentine's:

I make these every year for my kiddos and they love them every time.  This year was no different. 
Here's how I made them!

First peel the crayons.  (This is the hardest part!)
Next, break the crayons into smaller pieces and place in a heart shaped muffin tin.  You can do any color combinations you like but I just use a regular box of crayons and mix them up.  24 crayons makes 9 of these heart shaped crayons perfectly!
Put in the oven at 200 degrees until all the crayons are melted.  Like this:
At this point I put them in the freezer to let them cool (quickly) because I only have one of the pans and I have to do this 3 times to make enough for my whole class.  It only takes a few minutes for them to cool and then they pop right out!  

Here is a link to the Valentine page I used to give them.  You can click on the pic to download from Google docs.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy_8L1vfUHTR3VSbE1VRGhiSkE/edit?usp=sharing

#5  Party time in room 111!
We had a heart healthy breakfast for Valentine's Day because #1 cookies and cupcakes didn't sound good to me this year and #2 we had a half day for Parent/Teacher conferences so breakfast just made sense.  We loved it!  
and my goodies:
and from the hubby:
It was an awesome day!

I hope yours was great too!