Teacher Week '13: Tips and Tricks


 


Tips and Tricks!
It's the final day of Teacher Week '13 and this is probably the most exciting post to talk about.  To make it "happen" in the classroom you need some helpful tips and just a few "tricks" up your sleeve.  I don't think I am sharing anything ground breaking here but this is what makes my room tick!

#1
Plan, plan, plan!  Whatever works best for you; online plans, typed up plans, or hand written plans.  Always have a plan for your week.  I ALWAYS overplan because it doesn't hurt anything if I miss something but if you are left without a plan (even for 5 minutes) it will ruin your entire day!
Here are my lesson plans from last week.  NO EMPTY SPACES!


 


It just feels good to have these sitting on my desk!

#2
It may be tempting (after all that planning), but don't let the little moments pass you by.  It may be a thoughtful question from a student, a disagreement on the playground, or just that comment that makes you stop and think, "This is why I teach!".  This week these were my little moments: 

A little boy came up to me in the cafeteria as we were lining up to go back to class and he asked, "May I have a moment with my sister?" It made my heart swell, knowing he loved his sister enough to just go say hello to her.  She's in Kindergarten, and having her "big 1st grade" brother come say hi! was probably pretty cool!

One little girl who is SUPER quiet took a moment to tell me she didn't like how disrespectful her table had been that day.  She said she wished they would listen better.  I almost missed this moment, I had to wait for it, like I said....she is super quiet!

We came across this little guy today: 
We could have just walked around him and said, "oh cool!" and then made it to our destination on time.  Instead, we were rushed the rest of the afternoon, I forgot to send home the important papers I was supposed to, and I made the class totally CRAY CRAY the rest of the day, but we took this little guy inside and checked him out under the doc cam.  I learned that my kiddos know a lot about bugs!  They taught me more than I taught them today!

#3
Leave the door open, be yourself, and love your kids.  Even on the days I want to pull my hair out and the schedule isn't working and the papers are piling up I simply just love these kiddos.  They make me laugh, they make me cry, and they teach me more about life every day.  This may sound super sappy, but that's the best tip I can give.  

Go find more tips and tricks with lots of great bloggers! 
Click to link up!

Happy Teaching!
Heather