Day 1-Teacher Week '13: Meet the Teacher!


 

I am super excited to be joining in @Blog Hoppin' for Teacher Week '13.  Here are the topics for the week if you would like to join in too!
 

It's Monday, so it's all about ME!  One of my favorite topics :) 

My name is Heather Langley and I am in my 9th year of teaching. (yes, we started last week!)  I started my journey against my will excitedly in 5th grade in my hometown.  My "dream" was to be a Kindergarten teacher but you have to do what you have to do, right?  I LOVED 5th grade, my students, the experience, everything about it!  I will forever be thankful to my principal who believed in my abilities and gave me the opportunity.  After 1 short year in 5th I was presented with the chance to teach Kinder and I jumped in feet first!  Love Kinders!  I had so much fun teaching with a wonderful mentor and I learned so much about the art of teaching littles.

After 3 years in Kinder our school/town/state was in a little turmoil (budget woes with a failing economy in my state) and lots of teachers were being let go.  Luckily for me, I had that 5th grade experience and they NEEDED me!  Phew, so thankful again!  I got to teach 5th grade again for 2 years. My favorite part of this experience was our yearly San Diego trip. I have great memories of these kiddos on these trip!
 Hands on learning is the best,
that is a sting ray in my hands!

My next big opportunity came with the opening of an International Baccalaureate school within our district.  This has been the best experience I have had thus far in my teaching career.  I am currently teaching 1st grade and I am officially in love!  I love the Learner Profile and philosophy of learning outlined in the IB curriculum.  I also love that it is truly an inquiry based program and our teaching is driven by student inquiry.  I'm still getting the hang of it, but I love it!
(just realized I have said "love" about a thousand times in this post, I do have a certain passion for this job but really need to work on expanding my vocabulary!)

10 fun facts about me: 
#1
   My oldest daughter's graduation last year.  Before you know it Mr. Langley and I will have an empty nest! Sniff, sniff.

#2
I love coffee!  My morning is just not the same without it!

#3
I have a huge list of pet peeves.  At the top are pencil sharpeners and technology that gives me fits. 

#4
I am addicted to Big Brother....every summer....no matter how dumb it is. 

#5
I live in the same town I grew up in and teach in the same district I went to school in.  Which means I have had the opportunity to work with teachers I had in elementary school.  It's surreal and awesome at the same time!

#6
I just started the year with 24 firsties and found out I will have 25 by next week.  I'm a little frightened they will outnumber me in more way than one by the end of August. 

#7
 I am quite addicting to blogging.  Not only do I love venting on my own blog, I love reading about the happenings in classrooms around the country (and world!).  Many of my teacher room conversations begin with, "I read on a blog..."

#8
My family went on a road trip this summer and had a great time exploring!  We saw Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, sis/brother/mother in law in Iowa, and corn.....lots and lots of corn!

#9
My goal is to finish my Masters Degree.  I don't know in what though.  I have my reading endorsement and I have taken enough graduate credits to be pretty close, I just need to figure it out.  Can I finish my Masters in blogging?

#10
I love my job!  Even though the thought of returning to that classroom on Monday morning makes my hands sweat I am so happy to be teaching littles every day.  They make me laugh, cry (yes, sometimes) and keep my heart full.  I am thankful to be a teacher. :)

That's just a little about me!  Now I can't wait to go and check out all of your posts in the Meet the Teacher link!

As always, Happy Teaching! Heather