Cinderella Around the World

It's done!  I worked on this all weekend and I am so happy with it.  I learned how to use Powerpoint to create documents (so cool!) and thanks to the lovely Erica Bohrer I also learned how to merge vertical and horizontal files onto one document.  It's been a weekend of learning for me!  It's my birthday today too so who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

This unit has been a collaboration between my 1st grade team.  We have been working on an IB unit called "How We Express Ourselves" with the central idea, "Different versions of the same story teach us about different cultures".  Cinderella is a perfect way to learn about different cultures and fairy tales at the same time.  We also tied in character traits, setting, retell, and opinion writing in this unit.  In April we give our District Writing Assessment and this year we were able to pick a topic that went with our unit.  In an effort to tie in more text dependent writing (GO Common Core!) we are having the students pick their favorite Cinderella story and write their opinion with supporting details.  I can't wait to complete this part of the unit next week.  They are so cute writing their opinions!

I teach opinion writing using one of my favorites Anna Brantley 's Writing Opinions All Year Long packet.  You can click on her name to get to her Tpt store.  I have also used her Narratives packet and Writing to Inform.  The graphic organizers are fabulous and there are a ton of cute prompts and writing paper to go with them.  Love them!

If you would like to preview the new and improved unit click HERE!  There is a freebie graphic organizer in the preview too!
I have finally discovered cute borders and pages!  Woohoo!
 Here are a couple of graphic organizers included in the unit.
I even included a "geography" page.  We talk about the countries but I feel like they need to identify them on this tiny map.  This is not my favorite page, but it's hard to find maps to work with!  I use a globe in the classroom when we are talking about each story. 
 These are a couple of the pages for the writing portion of the unit.  I also included a self editing page, a graphic organizer for planning the opinion piece, and a self editing checklist.

Thanks for checking out my stuff!  I have officially posted 3 days in a row, I think I am getting the hang of this!  I promise to post some of my kiddos work and my bulletin board when I get it all up!  

Have a great Monday! And as always, Happy Teaching! ~Heather